Thursday, July 10, 2008

OH CRAPS. SPOP 1.

I highly doubt that I will have enough time [let alone have sufficient energy or mental capacity] to write about every single SPOP (student parent orientation program)…but I couldn’t help but describe T.F.O. (the first one). I know for many of you, a lot of this will not make sense, which may leave you disinterested, unmoved, or confused. But I don’t blame you. “From the outside looking in, you can’t understand it. From the inside looking out, you can’t explain it”…but I’ll definitely try my best.

A couple of days ago, I received the news that I would be a CP of Camino. As CP, you are a returner in the hall that acts as a liaison for your hall and the coords, delegates responsibilities, and ensures that your group of staffers and spoppers are on schedule… among other things. Anyway, considering this was the very first spop of this entirely new program, I had my usual anxieties. Even as a returner, I felt like I knew just as much as these new first-year staffers. But I went into the two days with determination that I would contribute to making this first spop awesome for the staffers and this first glimpse of UCI beyond amazing for these incoming freshmen.


As the two days went on, I realized I didn’t have to do that much work at all. Regardless of the miscommunication and last minute changes to the program schedule, being a CP and going through this new jam-packed program was relatively effortless. My group of staffers [timmy, rhonda, matty, michelle, eric and carol] were such a cohesive team of caring, compassionate, supportive, energetic staffers, which then transferred to the spoppers. I’m so proud of that group, the way they dropped knowledge and made personal connections with the camino-ers was just inspiring. And oh man, in just two very short days together, this group of spoppers was so comfortable with each other. They excitedly came up with hall cheers, played our silly games [and our frustrating mind games], participated in the all-nighter of crazy events, and left feeling excited about UCI. Their enthusiasm kept us going strong. Our cha break, their infamous stick game (their personal favorite), black magic, mafia, fishbowl, hot seat, making a human pyramid, ghost stories, practicing our hall cheers in Aldrich park at midnight, parking structure dance party, crashing other halls…and watching the sunrise at 6 am. The rest of the hall woke up at 8 am, only to find a handful of staffers and spoppers sprawled out on the living room floor and on the staircase. One night without sleep in exchange for unforgettable memories…so worth it.


And then there was the talent show, a showcase of staffers’ commitment to the program and spoppers. I did movie line, spaerobics and of course spop modern. The audience ate it all up. To GOLD modern, I hope you all felt accomplished. Those months of preparation, chaotic schedules and long practices really paid off. Thanks to the choreographers and all the dancers were pushed through it. And also a huge thank you to my co-coord, mr. issac chueng, for keeping my focus and enthusiasm up, dynamic duo fo’sho. Seeing the other staffers cheering in the back and the crowd going crazy at the end was really moving. All the dancers seemed to have fun, which fulfilled ISAODY’s ultimate goal for everyone to perform with their whole heart for the 500+ spoppers in the audience.






The coords were definitely on top of things. Gold year staffers should feel really honored to be working with five dedicated and passionate coords. They kept us on task, kept us focused and inspire us to inspire others.



It was also really a proud moment as a SParent to see my little SPohana kids doin' their thang with their halls. I’m so proud of them and I’m so excited for the millions of spops to come! Woooooooot. I’m so blessed to have started the summer on a high note with super wonderful staffers and spoppers. There was lots of trial and error throughout the two days for everyone, but hey, what’s wrong with learning from mistakes and improvement as you go on? Everyone was drained by the beginning of day 2, but we pushed on. We took advantage of every single moment to reach out to this group. Through our interactions, I hope we succeeded in making unforgettable memories, being resources/role models and eliminating any anxieties about starting college. We all had our hesitation about this new program only being two days, but it gave us the good kind of pressure to take advantage of every opportunity to really get to know these kids.




And from the positive vibes and smiles from the staffers and participants, there are no doubts that SPOP 1 was a success. Just imagine…that was only the first one.
It can only go up from here.

SPOP 1: CAMINO ROULETTE RAINMAKERS

$$$ OH CRAPS, IT'S CAMINO, where everyone gets lucky. $$$

1 comment:

Julian Leong said...

it's crazy how similar of a path it is your traversing. that said, i feel like i can really invest myself in your story, like i know everything you're talking about. i'm real happy that you managed to do so well in such a critical point in SPOP history, and now you can look back and always know those moments as being too perfect to be true. God is clearly blessing you with so much and even though i'm so far away i'm thankful to be able to still know how you're doing.

this makes me not miss spop, in a very very good way...if that makes any sense. sounds like it's in good hands.

spop is littered with opportunities to make Christ known. i encourage you to go after em!

-jurr