Friday, August 15, 2008

il mio aniversario

It has been exactly one year since I ventured off to explore the great abyss, also known as Europe. My study abroad experience was such a great blessing for which I am eternally grateful to God, my parents and others who supported me throughout the trip. I acquired pride for my temporary home of Florence, learned the language, ate the delicious meals, mingled with locals. It really was like a dream to be surrounded by art and landmarks only seen in textbooks and tv...just to comfortably wander the streets of Florence. I established incredible friendships with my two guelfa girls, Caitlin and Courtney, whose carefree spirits would teach me more than I ever imagined. Over four months, my eyes were opened to just a small snipit of what this wonderful world has to offer and instigated my desire to continue my world travels. In one semester, I fell in love with the Italian culture, explored new things, tested my capabilities, re-defined what was important in my life, and experienced life outside of this California bubble. Although being abroad provoked a greater sense of appreciation for everything and everyone from home, it was bittersweet to come back to a familiar domain. Little did I know that upon my return, 2008 would soon sneak up on me…and practically every aspect of what I left behind at home would change.

But, no need for me to worry because I WILL return there someday. Arrivederci Italia.

No comments: