Wednesday, July 29, 2009

worry. stress. rejoice. praise.

========
Rejoice in the Lord always;
again I will say,
Rejoice.

[Philippians 4:4]
========

"When I am consumed by my problems, stress out about my life, my family and my job, I actually convey the belief that I think the circumstances are more important than God’s command to always rejoice. In other words, that I have a right to disobey God because of the magnitude of my responsibility.

Worry implies that we don’t quite trust that God is big enough, powerful enough, or loving enough to take care of what’s happening in our lives. Stress says that the things we’re involved in are more important to merit our impatience, our lack of grace towards others, or our tight grip of control...

Basically these two behaviors communicate that it’s okay to sin and not trust God because the stuff in my life is somehow exceptional. Both worry and stress reek of arrogance... in the context of God’s strength, our problems are small indeed"

- from the book Crazy Love by Francis Chan

================


Dear Lord, Father of all mercies, God of all comfort,

Please teach me to completely trust in You at all times because I know I worry way too much. It's so easy to praise You when things are just dandy. Please forgive me for my inconsistency. I believe that You have the power to do wonders in the hearts of people, but I also need to understand that what you do is at your will. Please grow me, teach me patience, and rid my own heart of stubbornness and pride to genuinely rejoice in You always. You are so wonderful and it's such a blessing to know that even with everything that You are handling in this world, You take the time to listen to the individual prayers of those who call on You. Through these rough times, I am being humbled by the recurring fact that I cannot do anything without You. I'm discovering that I'm not as strong as I tend to think I am and I need Your grace and comfort more than ever, but I can rest assure that You have not abandoned or forsaken me. Oh Lord, I cannot thank You enough. You are more than worthy of our praise!


========

But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you,
for my power is made perfect in weakness."
Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses,
so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses,
insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities.
For when I am weak, then I am strong.
[2 Corinthians 12:9-10]

========



if someone's reading this and going through some rocky times, let's talk.
if my words can't help, maybe i can help show you whose Word can.

No comments: