Saturday, February 7, 2009

and then there were turtles...

Wednesday night, birthday night. Julian and Buzz are last-minute additions to our dinner guest list. During dinner, the two mention their jam-packed day of errands. I received a rather vague response when I asked them what kind of errands…but I didn’t think much of it as I continued to stuff my face with stonfire grill goodness. At about 8, Julian mentions that it’s time to leave for mavyn practice, but not before raffy could stop to ask for his number to “talk about mavyn stuff”, which (again) I didn’t think much of. He seemed flustered and rushed. I wished he could stay longer but I’m thinking, “welp, at least he showed up for dinner…I’ll see him tomorrow for lunch anyway”.

Then off to practice. During circle-up, Captain Kduh asks to speak to all the captains about serious stuff right before we start running through the set. For once, I’m actually pumped to start dancing….so I’m thinking…Really kduh? Right now? Great, and I was in a good mood. So we have an intense conversation upstairs. All I’m thinking is…man, we should really be at practice right now…there seems to be waves of silence and commotion downstairs, so thoughts of an unproductive mcia run through my head. After we’ve all thrown out our opinions, I finally say, “I think we should go back to practice”. I slowly head down, feeling rather exhausted from our deep convo. As we walk down the stairs, huge cheers arise. I’m thinking, “Aww, how cute, they’re cheering for the captains”. I may have started waving or bowing or doing the Mel pose….then…

Tunnel vision. All my mind could comprehend…all I could see…was Julian. He’s standing there with some kind of posterboard. Is that Squirt?! Whoa, so many turtles! He’s even rocking his turtle shell, this guy doesn’t overlook the details. Wait, what? So he didn’t have practice?! I start to understand what’s happening. My vision begins to widen. The entire team is gathered around him…wait, what the?! It’s NOT just the team...

I see Buzz standing there, I think I even jumped a little. He’s supposed to be dropping off julian at practice! I think by now there’s a ruckus of singing and cheering and laughing and plenty of picture-taking. From the corner of my eye, I see someone’s holding the cake…black sweater, black basketball shorts and a hat…must be jtong… wait…no!...Raffy?! Julian explains something about sitting on a cake…of which I’m not really surprised about.

I’m still in complete shock, staring at the poster...I think even at that point I’m still trying to process everything. My vision begins to widen even more. Whoa! Helen wong?! Geneyem?! Leahbeth?! Aww, Sabrina! What the heck, this is nuts! I start going around the group and giving hugs…More surprising visitors…Bogina?! At this point, I’ve made countless squeals of excitement, trying to take in the fast-paced events occurring. I can’t hold it in...I start crying tears of joy. I'm on this incredible high of goodness. God is so good. I’m just so happy!! I had NO idea. Julian went through all this trouble? People took time out to make those turtles? I don’t deserve this…I don’t deserve any of this. God is so so so good!

Everything’s happening so fast. Gamma picture. Cake in my face, cake off julian’s butt, then cake in his face. What are cfbc friends doing in this parking structure... im so happy that they drove from all over just for this. I’m running around like a crazy lady. I don't think my brain can keep up with my mood. There’s still a bunch of flashes and yelling. People keep coming up to me and giving me hugs. Happy birthday Mel! Thank you! Happy birthday Mel! Thank you!!!

I greet the guests and make frequent stops to just gaze at all the turtles…oh man…all…these…turtles! 22 years old and I’m wearing a turtle shell in front of a science fair-esque poster of cute turtles, munching on the most delicious mocha cake that was salvaged from julian’s…um...mishap. People from the team (current AND alumni) and even from church made personalized turtles with sweet love notes and birthday greetings. They’re all so cute. Seriously?! They went through all that for me?? I feel so special.

God is showing me His grace through all these friendships. I can’t help but acknowledge Him through this high of emotions. Amongst all the madness, I manage to sneak away to my car and give Him thanks. He deserves it.

The bfriend explains the hectic events that led to this surprise birthday masterpiece. His busy day of planning, his running around to finish up the poster and to collect the turtles, his week-long chain of secret emails to friends, his hours of putting it all together...and even the chaotic minutes before the surprise. After I take him to the yacht, he further explains his thought process that led him to this project. He knows I wouldn’t want anything expensive, he knows I love turtles, he knows how special it would be if a lot of people contributed. he just…knows. And it was such a beautiful moment, it just all worked out...perfectly. Wow, he really thought about this. He never fails to surprise me…with this shindig and in our relationship…this time he definitely outdid himself. He’s awesome. He must really care. I’m pretty fond of him, too. I'm so thankful for you jurr.

It’s about 3:30 am and I hurry home to read the little love notes and such. Each turtle was uniquely crafted with hints of people’s personalities, each note was so silly and so meaningful... they ALL touched my heart. Thank you so much to everyone who contributed to the secret turtle mission! I’ve never had any kind of surprise party, so this is a pretty high standard to beat. I can’t help but think…I’m so blessed. These friends are so wonderful. I don’t deserve this. I'm at such a better place now than where I was at 21. 22 ain't so bad and God is so so good.

thank you everyone!!
you have no idea how much this means to me.

check this out:julian's version

No comments: