Tuesday, November 9, 2010

beyond this life.

I often think about heaven...

- What will it be like? What will I do there? Where will I live? Who will I be reunited with? Who will I meet? While I may dream about roads paved in gold and a grand mansion to rest in, all of that won't matter because I'm pretty sure my one concern and the first person I'll want to see is Jesus himself! What will I say to him? What will he say to me? What will I do? I think my main priority would be to thank him for saving me. It's like that one song, I can only imagine...

- How awful would it be if we were accepted into heaven based on our works alone? I bet no one would get in, elbowing each other to get to the front of the line, trying to outdo each other, claiming that they did more than the next person and, therefore, deserve a better place in heaven. Everyone would be arguing and competing over what they did and how it entitles them to VIP treatment in heaven. But we can never earn heaven because we can never deserve heaven. We deserve quite the opposite. That would be horrible if we had to work our way to heaven, but thank God that all we have to do is receive the gift of eternal life through faith. It is his pure love, mercy and grace that reconciles us to him even though we don't deserve it. We don't have to do anything, everything has already been done for us.

- Why not think of living for today instead? While I do appreciate every day that God blesses me with, the opportunities, the people, etc, I know that time here on this earth is but a vapor and there is more beyond this life. I am so extremely grateful for every moment here and I hope to take advantage of every moment here. But I also do want to set my mind on heavenly things instead of idly absorbing the illusions of what the world offers. So I hope to live this life that is pleasing to the very God that sustains my life to experience it.

- And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, "Behold,the dwelling placeof God is with man. He willdwell with them, and they will be his people,and God himself will be with them as their God. He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, anddeath shall be no more,neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away." [Revelation 21:4]

I long for this day. Wouldn't you, my friend? Let's talk.

No comments: